Tuesday, March 11, 2008

TD's Last Stand

Jeeps have been a point of contention in our relationship since the first few months we were dating. I've never really understood why TD equated his happiness with having a Jeep and he didn't understand why I made such a big production out of his vehicle affections. One of our first dating fights was about the safety of Jeeps (the wrangler-like varieties) and how he might as well just drive a dune buggy at 90 miles an hour on the freeway. We never quite worked through that argument (which was punctuated with my insistence that a car seat doesn't fit in the back of a Jeep. Why the hell that entered a "conversation" we were having that early in the game I don't know.).

Yesterday, TD got his hands on a Jeep. How he worked this situation out so cleverly, I'm sure I'll never know. The Subaru wagon bit it (some massive engine trouble involving head gaskets and thousands of dollars of repair) and TD traded it for a Jeep. Bam! I almost killed him. The tricky part for me is how well he covered his ass. We won't end up paying any more for the Jeep than we would in repairs to the Subaru. Yes, there is room for a car seat. Mind you, there's no room for anything else, so who the hell knows where TD will keep an extra bottle or diaper. Hope the glove compartment's big. Damn, I wanted to be pissed. But here I am, somewhat more mature than I was a few years ago and I have realized that if TD wants a jeep that badly, okay. It sure is a cute thing. Completely impractical, but sweet. And, really? We do more hauling in the other car anyway. Who am I to stand in the way of a man and his dream? Oh, and it has a "bikini top" (possible the grossest name for a vehicle accessory) which means we can drive with the top down. I'm sure gonna look hot, 8 months pregnant this summer, cruising around town. The men like the ladies HUGE, you know.

I think TD knows he's finished. He's about to have his room repossessed, he's about to be the bigger bread-winner, he's already dealing with the most neurotic woman on the planet, and soon there'll be a screaming pooper taking over the household. Have fun with your new (old) Jeep, honey!

xoxoxo
k

p.s. TD's irrepressible cuteness (or repentance, I don't know) was in full force last night when he travelled (in Jeep) to several McDonald's to find a Shamrock Shake for the baby. No dice. He will be out again tonight, like Batman in his Batmobile, stalking the city for a shake. Oh, he's toast.

p.p.s. pictures soon.

No comments: