The Bean's grandma and I had a great conversation yesterday about... you'll never guess... yes! Babies! It was so much fun, especially when she got to the part where she was remembering stuff about my brother and me. It was spectacular when mom started reminiscing about potty-training us. Let the jury note: my brother, special as he is, took longer to potty train than me. And he had to pee all the time-- like she couldn't drive a mile without the little pisser having to stop and pee in a cornfield. I almost feel like I remember some of this and it's possible, I guess. I must have been 5-6 when he was potty-trained. How often to you get to go back in time to when you were a toddler and have someone remember some pretty amazing details about your diapers and the crazy things you said about pooping and peeing? Fantastic-ness.
Perhaps the most delightful memory she shared was when a friend of theirs watched my father applaud and cheer deliriously over me going potty in the appropriate place. I guess he was sitting on the edge of the tub and, overcome with the excitement of the poop (or the pee, but it seems better if it was poop) was losing his shit with pride. The friend said something like "Oh, if the girls at Penn State could see you now!" The funny part to me is not that my dad was transported to a land where toddler excrement was of tantamount importance, but that he was ever in any other land.
My dad? Cool with the co-eds? Huh. He's a cool guy, yeah, but he's always been excited by pooping. I, of course, can't see him as anyone else but my sweet dad, who has cleaned up my puke and changed my diaper and carried us in backpacks. My mom? Dude, she's a foxy lady. I can totally see her being a sassy co-ed in her go-go boots (true). Or maybe I understand how one can be totally hip and be a mom too. Just like me. I am so cool, I sizzle. I'm sure that no baby will change that about me.
TD on the other hand. Thinking of my dad as someone other than my dad is an interesting exercise, the natural extension of which is thinking of TD as a dad. Yup, he'll be a pooping cheerleader and I will record every second of it to show his friends and family.
xoxo
k
Friday, March 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2008
(107)
-
▼
March
(32)
- Hormone Check: Pissy Edition
- Midhusband Appointment #2
- feeling pregnant: for real
- Please don't call me "Mommy"
- Poop Patrol
- Hormone Check: Critical Edition
- Slighted.
- relayed conversation
- weird Bean in a bubble
- Why is it snowing?
- 2 Conversations
- All the fun you can have for under $1
- "Rarely is the question asked, is our children lea...
- Dad, will you make me this?
- Picture Time
- Word Lover
- nesting?
- Brave World
- Hormone Check
- Happy St. Patrick's Day!
- rather poor attempts to be domestic
- Happy Birthday, TD! (this is a long one)
- Oh, the guilt.
- Happy Day!
- one way to advertise that your parents are totally...
- What I Will No Doubt be Enjoying at Some Point in ...
- Welcome to Your Family
- TD's Last Stand
- Domestic
- Tall Dad
- My life is not my own. Already.
- Tidbits
-
▼
March
(32)
No comments:
Post a Comment