Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Wednesday notes: swollen and sweaty edition

cankles

Yes, I have them. Or, to put it another way, I have calves and feet that are stuck together with a puffy wad of bone and flesh. By 5:00 every day for the last week, I've had to commit myself to reclining with my feet propped up on cushions. Mightily depressing. I am currently assuming the position and it's hard to type with the laptop on a pillow, sliding off my hip. Note: at this point in the post, I was seized by a pelvic pain reminiscent of last week's ER incident. Knowing that this pain was most likely round ligament pain, I did what any dorky pregnant woman would do when alone: I pretended I was in labor. I can really only do what I've seen in movies, so there was some puffing and earnest focusing. I also decided to shower because I'm pretty sure I've heard that a problem's really a problem if a warm shower doesn't soothe it (this may also be something I "learned" from the movies). As I showered, I felt nervous for the day when a shower doesn't help. Like a toilet at just the right moment, the shower is the ultimate fixer of discomfort. What happens when crapping and showering just don't do it? Yikes. 14 weeks to go.

breast pumps are scary

especially if someone gives you one and it is completely disassembled in a bag (with no picture). There are instruction manuals, but meh. I'd rather pull all the pieces out, freak out at the ways in which they look like torture devices, and shove them back in the bag. I've done this three times already. I think that I have this electric breast pump and also a manual breast pump (judging by the springs in the bag). I'm confused about what I need, though, to do all of the things. Like, I guess I need bottles and also things in which to store the milk. Do I need two kinds of containers-- one for frozen milk and one for actually feeding the baby? This is all very confusing, but I imagine we'll learn it in breastfeeding class. How ridiculous. It really feels like this should just be a matter of baby+boob=done, but apparently not. Unless TD and Nanny M hurry up and lactate, we've gotta figure it out.

big words annoy people

In the last day and a half, I've been busted three times for using "big words." It makes me laugh because I have spent so much of my adult life around people whose entire existence centers around being the world champion of the NYT Sunday crossword puzzle and out-articulating the other guy at a cocktail party. Really, you don't know word-slinging until you've sat around at a few English Dept. faculty meetings at any semi-reputable university (especially when some sort of literary dispute rears its ugly head). So when I said "vacillate" today and "elicit information" and "admonish" yesterday in casual conversation and very nearly got the shit kicked out of me, I wasn't sure whether or not I should breathe a sigh of relief that I am no longer the least articulate one in the room OR if I should go sit in on a couple of faculty meetings to brush up. A small part of me thought that if we're going to scoff at precision in language (especially in my staff meetings), we should at least be doing jello shots. If dumbing down is what we're after, let's just get stupid, already.

register this, baby!

I've been moderately harassed and kindly prodded by a few very nice folk to register for baby stuff. I'm being resistant partly because it feels like asking for stuff (it is) and also I have no idea what I should be asking for, so...huh? On the right side of this page is "Kristie's list." My friend Kristie is a child therapist and a newish mom, so she knows all the wants and needs I could have. What I love about Kristie is that she is so practical and doesn't buy into a lot of the crippity-crap that's being marketed to parents as "needs." So I have Kristie's list up and will be modifying it with Sarah's ideas too. I'll link the items to a place to buy them online if it seems like I can find a deal on the right thing. I'll also update the things that we've bought or have been given to us. Some of the big stuff (crib, etc.) we're going to buy on the way-cheap (read: Craig's list and yard sales). Other stuff is fun because it doesn't need to be anything exact-- ie. clothes and stuff. I really would love all the help I can get in making sure that we do know what we need and what works well so suggestions are way more than welcome. I'm also seriously mulling over what the nursery will look like. We're thinking mellow and subtle and not particularly babyish. Not sure why-- maybe because the baby won't even give a shit until she's 2. Also because I have a theory that babies sometimes "like" baby stuff because that's what they get, you know? I did order these absolutely fabulous monster illustrations (check out all the little pictures too) to maybe frame for the nursery. I'll let you know. Oh, and I am really excited to get Baby P's library going. Books--used, even (or especially) are most welcome treasures.

please help me to stop being boring

Seriously, I read what I've written and I want to stab myself in the cankles. I hope to hell that it's just because I'm roasting and poofy at this moment that I am so boring. I honestly just considered sharing that before I actually made something with it, I ate half a jar of spaghetti sauce with a spoon. WHO CARES, KATE??? Really.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Do not go nuts on bottles. I have a bunch and W never took to them, so...yeah. Get a few to start with (like 3 or 4) you can always buy more and try different brands later.

Milk storage: They have freezer bags in the feeding aisle at Target. You can date them, and toss after each use (I know, we are going to hell for that and the diapers).

Car seat. The smart thing to do it just go ahead and buy this:http://www.britaxusa.com/products/product_detail.aspx?ID=5
but then you do not have the handy way of carting baby around. W stayed in his infant carrier for 6 months before we moved him to the above. I am guessing it will be the same for C. If you have someone you trust who is done with their infant carrier, ask to borrow it for 6 months. I did get a peg perego for cheaper than normal on amazon because it was the last one in stock.

I like the zooper strollers. This is a good cross between a "travel system" and and umbrella. http://www.zooper.com/waltz.html

I think the single handle bar is way better than the ones that need two hands ala:http://www.zooper.com/hula.html

Sarah said...

I should add, I feel good about spending more money on stuff like the stroller and the car seat when I spend less on used stuff like cribs.

Kate Rosenberg said...

Agreed about the spending. You're a lifesaver-- thanks for all the tips. I don't know what I'd do without them!

Anonymous said...

Did you notice that one of the monsters appears to have a bean coming out of its mouth? Now that would be a very new way to birth a bean!!!!!
Love you, Kate!
Bethes

Kate Rosenberg said...

Yes! The monster does have a bean com ing out of its mouth (or going down, who knows)-- but the bean looks VERY happy.

Anonymous said...

Of course the bean is happy, very happy, because the bean is with its mum! All baby beans are joyous about being with their mums!
Piper will be ecstatic to be with her mum and her TD and her Poeia and Woobie fan club!