Monday, July 21, 2008

I'm home from being home: quick notes

First: some pictures of Rosenbergs and Co. eating crabs, corn, and Sam's universe's-best fries... Rob has a lot of crabs. B&D are crab-picking artists

Sam, of frying fame
Dad, thinking deeply w/ an ear of corn.
Beth looks off-kilter because I was off-kilter
waiting for departure
As far as I know, this very minute, PawPaw is still hanging on. Or rather, he is still hung up in this world, waiting patiently (mostly) to head into the next one. Though we could all see that he was wearing down, he's been sharp as a tack-- opening his eyes to offer a helpful detail in the conversation around him or to make a snide comment. My favorite part of being with PawPaw all week was when he appeared to be fast asleep, only to break into an enormous smile when he heard something to his liking. PawPaw has the biggest smile I've ever seen--it takes up the entire lower half of his face and stretches behind his ears. Then the wrinkles around his eyes bunch up and I see that all of his kids have the same expressive eyes. I will try to write more about PawPaw later this week when my head clears a little.

many many friends/family
Somewhere after my first 24 hours in Lititz, I stopped trying so hard to make a mental distinction between Rosenberg relations and Rosenberg friends. Turns out, they're one in the same. It was a most delightful parade of jovial, smart, sensitive, happily obnoxious, and thoroughly pleasant folks. It truly felt like the cast of characters for an epic novel was unrolling in front of me. I wanted to take notes while stopping time to have just another hour or two to spend with them. Happily, I got to be an observer, as everyone shared stories with and about PawPaw or their memories of various Rosenberg hijinks. The best stories, I think, were ones my dad told--with added details from the cast of characters--about his childhood in Lititz. I hope that some day I get these down in a way that does their richness justice.

homesick: 2 ways
Missed TD like mad. It was even more evident this week that he and I just do not see each other often enough. Also, everything about being back east reminds me of him. It occurred to me once that I married TD because he is home to me. When he's in the SLC, I am homesick in the most basic way. However, smelling all the green things growing, eating fresh tomatoes, and wilting in the 99% humidity (on top of seeing all of the family) sparked a pretty serious urgency to hightail it back to the east.

worn out
I took a gigantic nap upon making it back to our brown-yarded house. I'm now showered and ready to make sure there are clothes for my (painful, for sure) return to work. When I ever have something of interest to say again, I will check back in. It's hard to come back from a week like this last one and not be full of vagueness and generalities.

No comments: