There is something a bit creepy about what happens to a pregnant girl in the very very hot summer, when everything seems so long--especially the time--and every task is just out of reach. The weirdest time is at night when it is still hot and I am sleepy and I have to sleep for a few hours before I wake up and the room no longer feels like an oven. By then, I've dreamed enough and sweated enough to be a little crazy, so I shiver and have weird dreams and my belly tightens up and sometimes hurts and I have to pee every few hours. That's what happens. Long, strange nights.
I've been reading Lorrie Moore, I think for the first time, and have discovered that the death of animals is a thing I cannot even think about right now. In two consecutive stories, Moore mentions a dead dog and then a bat that a character whaps with a tennis racket and kills. Too much (even though each of those pieces is very tiny, in the scheme). Especially difficult w/Poeia panting at my side (sometimes the speckling on her legs looks cutely pink, like right this second). It's not that I haven't always been tender-hearted with animals, but now I can't even read a story in which a protagonist mentions that her dog used to sit in front of the fireplace.
Pregnancy, what are you?
Friday, July 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2008
(107)
-
▼
July
(16)
- Mood Booster
- post-meltdown
- Welcome to my meltdown!
- Stellar Performance
- new daily affirmations
- I'm home from being home: quick notes
- Going home again...
- "Working Poor"
- pretty things for pretty baby
- HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY DAY!!!
- A Lesson for Piper
- No title
- Monday: two sentence updates
- Happy Morning!
- sweltering
- Wednesday notes: swollen and sweaty edition
-
▼
July
(16)
No comments:
Post a Comment