- cloth vs. disposable
- new job in quiet office w/ strict hours (but benefits! holidays! vacation! sick days!) vs. fun. and dramatic old job where I can come and go unnoticed and whenever. Same pay.
- 2/3 of my paycheck + daycare/babysitting vs. none of my paycheck to stay home w/ Bean.
- pretending that I have a choice about whether or not I can stay home vs. just making a reasonable child care decision.
- _____ vs. _________ for dinner tonight
- paying electric bill vs. paying gas bill this week
- farmer's market vs. co-op
- front pack vs. back pack for Tall Dad
- going to the park today vs. going to the coffee shop
Serious, serious decisions. In even less interesting news, TD and I planted some tomatoes (3 kinds!) and marigolds last night. They look happy already. Also, I went discount grocery shopping yesterday, at a place we found in the area of the city where people are in the same financial situation we are. We found our people...and our food. 28 cents for bean and cheese burritos! Woot! I had to pick TD up from work and so I played Supermarket Sweep (please, someone remember this with me) and ran through the store throwing all kinds of crap in the cart. I ran over two kids, but they were still breathing so they're probably okay today. So if you're still reading, I'd like to point out that YOU JUST WASTED YOUR TIME READING ABOUT MY GROCERY SHOPPING TRIP. I win.
Piper Bell (who is now being called by her name, mostly) has been squirming up a storm. This is a happy feeling, but it's even more happy to notice when she does it most. She's really quiet in the morning-- usually doesn't get too excited until about 10 and she is up late, rolling around while I try to fall asleep. I love that she gets especially excitable when I talk to people I like. When I was visiting Brenna and her family, she was antsy all weekend. This leads me to believe that my days of having uninterrupted conversations are about over. Someone already wants to be the center of attention. Piper also likes when TD makes me laugh and when I talk to Grandma and Grandpa R. on the phone. She also seems to take great pleasure in me getting pissed off at staff meeting. During a particularly contentious meeting on Friday, she was flailing around like a maniac. Perhaps she is something like her mom? I only hope that her response, were she out of the womb, would be to scream, as that is what I wanted to do. That would have ended the bullshit pretty fast. Nobody likes a screamer.
Um, so now I have to decide if the dishes get done, if I shower, if I go to the park, if I take another Benadryl, if I actually wear TD's shorts out of the house, if I make brownies, if I start my craft project, if I take another nap, if I go for a walk, if I finish the laundry, if I use self-tanner on my legs, if I take my secret stash of dry-erase markers to work, if I finish the necklace I started, if I try to read the marked-up copy of Jane Eyre I own or get a new one, if I pick up poop before the lawn-mowing guy comes...damn this is a jam-packed day.
xoxoox----K
4 comments:
Well my day care vs. SAHM choice was pretty easy seeing as how I'd bring home a whole $15 dollars a week after paying for day care. (Not really, but not far off.) I will add that NOT going to grad school and having those extra student loans helped make up my mind. Once the kids are in school and making breakfast for themselves I may try and go to grad or nursing school. I am a firm believer in you can have it all, just not all at the same time.
As for the diapers...well I am sure I am going to hell for using the one off ones. I'd the G-diapers if they were so effing $$. Also, breast feed newborns shit. All. Of. The. Time. That is alot of laundry.
There's NO question that we can't afford the fancy day care-- we're not even on waiting lists, which around here, are up to 2 years long. Hi, planning ahead! Where have you been?
I have had some mighty generous babysitting offers from people I'd donate my kidney to, I like them so much. But still, you've gotta be willing to fork over the cash to compensate a good childcare provider and I do NOT want to lowball anyone who is awesome enough to do that.
I'm trying to figure out some way to bargain with the devil re. diapers. Like, if I clean up trash along the highway a few days a month, does that clear me to use disposables? What if I composte the baby's poop and grow vegetables in it to donate to the community? TD just told me last night that he plans to hose off the baby every time she shits. No, with a real hose that he's going to hook up to the tub. I guess we can cut down on wipes that way. Har.
Well, regarding the diaper hell we will find ourselves in, we will at least have fun. (And by fun I mean you bring the ice and sunscreen and I will bring the beer.)
What was that extra special round the contestants made it to in supermarket sweep? i loved that show.
and i vote for disposables.
Post a Comment