Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Tough Day

I intended to write a post about the ways in which my day sucked, including how I managed to embarass the crap out of myself to scores of people, many of whom I don't know. I'll save that story for another time because I feel completely put in my place by a local story we've been following for the last 24 or so hours.

7 year old Hser Nay Moo disappeared not too many miles (maybe 2?) from our house yesterday afternoon. By 10 pm last night, her disappearance hit the local news. At about 9 am today, an Amber Alert was issued. By 9:00 tonight, she was discovered dead, apparently beaten to death, in a nearby apartment.

In so many ways, this is a painful story. Her parents were recent immigrants to the US from Burma where her father spent 20 years in a refugee camp. They also have a newborn baby.

I don't think I'm any more sensitive to this now that I'm pregnant, but I sure did cry a lot. What else to say, really?

Off to sleep...hopefully better dreams tonight,
Kate

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I was flipping through channels last night when I saw this on Nancy Grace (oh, how I love to hate her.)

I fell asleep, so I did not know her body had been found.

There is a special place in hell for whomever could have hurt her.