I had every intention to go to work early and catch up today, but then I opened an envelope from my friend, A. She's too smart for words and knew just what would keep me glued to the couch for the morning. She said something like this: poetry+pregnancy+pittsburgh=good things (except she said it better) and it's true! They are all good things.Toi Derricotte was a professor at Pitt when I was there as a wee little undergraduate flailing around iwth poetry. I always wanted to have a class with her because I knew she was a rock star, but alas, I only got to hear a lecture or two. Derricotte wrote this book when her son was 16 and away form home for the fist time for a period of time. It is the story of his birth and her pregnancy, which played in a "home for unwed mothers." The best part, I think, is that she worte the story before she ever really told anyone, including her son. I couldn't stop reading and I'm inspired to read other literary explorations of birth. Any ideas?
This book is going to SIL in Colorado. A recommend from Aunt and Uncle brought me to this and it was a fabulous read. Almost a must-read for preggers:

Happy reading!
k
No comments:
Post a Comment